Jan 6 2017
For those who want to upgrade factory Toyota Highlander stereo with navigation system, firstly you should pay attention to if your Toyota highlander comes with JBL amplifier. There are many Toyota Highlander navigation system replacement available in the market, only few of them support JBL. Today we’d like to share with you this new pure Android Toyota Highlander DVD player navigation which supports JBL sound system with a CAN-BUS decoder included.
This Android Toyota Highlander DVD player navigation unit comes with powerful configuration including 4-cores 1.6GHz CPU, 16GB Flash, 1GB ROM, 8 inch high definition capacitive screen with 1024*600 resolution, based on Android 5.1.1 operation system, it runs much faster than the old model, and there’s a CAN-BUS decoder included to support factory JBL amplifier.
2019 update: It’s with 10.1″ HD screen, Android 9 system, 8-Core, 4GB RAM now.
Installation is easy for a professional car audio shop, you can even install it by yourself if you have experience before. Overall, firstly remove the factory car stereo in the dash, then unplug all cables behind, then replace it with the new Android Toyota highlander navigation head unit, plug new cables, push it back into the dash, that’s all.
Below with step by step installation instructions and pictures for your reference:
- This is the factory look of the car stereo in the dashboard which needs to be replaced:
- Use special installation tools to pry out the air vents outlet.
- Pry the decorative trim on left and right side, then pull out the decorative trim carefully.
- Unplug cables behind the climate control and ashtray, including switches for climate control and ashtray, then unplug 3 plugs for climate control, pull out the climate control panel.
- Use #10 socket wrench to remove 4 screws which fixed the factory Toyota Highlander car stereo, pull out the factory unit, pay attention to the buckle.
- Unplug all plugs behind the factory Toyota Highlander stereo.
- So you are able to remove the factory radio unit now, remove 3 screws on both left and right side to detach the bracket on both side.
- Use a straight screwdriver to pry out the switch socket of the hazard warning light, then detach the hazard warning light.
Install the hazard warning light in the new Android Toyota Highlander navigation unit.
- Remove 2 screws at the top of the new Android unit, if not, you are not able to fully insert a CD or DVD disc into the unit.
- Install the 2 brackets in the new Android navigation unit, install switch socket of the hazard warning light, then connect new plugs at the rear of the unit, connect the other end with your car’s wiring harness, connect the CAN-BUS decoder with a small white plug.
- Connect the reverse wire(BACK+) with 12V reverse light, connect the Camera-In cable with the video cable from the reverse camera.
- Slowly push the new Toyota Highlander Android DVD navigation into the dash, fix 4 screws. Install back the climate control panel and air vents, see how does it look like after installation as below:
If you are interested in this Android 9 OS navigation unit, you can learn more features at:
Navigation system is ready to use once get it installed because there’s a GPS card including GPS maps in the GPS card slot and we have already tested it before the shipment. The 2 screws at the top of the new unit should be removed because these screws are used to protect DVD loader during the shipment.
For any other questions about this unit or the installation, you can leave a comment on this post.