May 19 2017
As the 5th generation of BMW 5 series, BMW E60/E61 is available from 2003 to 2010. Compared to BMW E39, the dashboard for BMW E60 always comes with a 6.5 inch or 8. 8 inch factory screen. If you have a BMW E60 or E61 without navigation system, you are able to upgrade the original screen unit with a modern looking GUI Android BMW E60 head unit now.
How does the Android BMW E60 navigation head unit look like?
Android 4.4 operation system
Quad-Core 1.6GHz CPU processor
16GB Nand Flash, 1GB RAM
8″ HD capacitive screen, 1024*600 resolution
Inbuilt GPS, Bluetooth hands free phone calling, Bluetooth streaming music, USB, Wi-Fi, Mirror-Link, etc
Keep original radio, CD player working
External one din DVD player optional
For more information about the Android BMW E60 navigation head unit, you can check it here: http://www.dvdgpsnav.com/aftermarket-bmw-e60-android-head-unit-gps-navigation-bmw-e60-radio-upgrade-dvd-optional.html
How to install BMW E60 Android navigation head unit?
- Use a plastic level tool to pry at the end/middle/front of the decorative trim to detach the side metal chip and gently pull the trim across. The trim is held using metal clips along the length of the trim.
- Take out the trim including the air vents, remove the buttons for hazard light and door lock by pressing on the metal clips, detach the cable connector behind.
- Remove 2 screws at the top of original screen, take out the original screen unit.
- Remove the two screws at the top middle instrument panel(some models don’t have these screws), pry and pull the climate control panel towards you with force, unplug the connectors behind
- Use the plastic tool to pry the edge of the CD panel, take out the CD panel.
- Remove 4 screws at 1, 2, 3 and 4 to take out original CD player/radio.
- Take out the original CD and radio unit. Detach the power plug behind the CD/radio.
- Connect the new female power plug to the back connector of CD/radio, connect the new male plug to the original wiring harness. This step is very important, if there are fiber optic cables from original harness, you will need to move the fiber optic cables to our new plug at the same position(very important!)
pull out the 2 fiber optic cables:
Move the 2 fiber optic cables to the new plug at the same position, make sure they are well connected!
Connect the new plug with 2 fiber optic cables to the back of factory CD/radio, see below:
- Connect the LVDS plug removed from the back of the original screen to the LVDS plug from our new main unit, connect the 2 black cables between the main unit and the new screen, connect new red, blue and green plug into the correct plugs from the side of the main unit, see picture below:
Note: You should also connect the GPS antenna, WiFi antenna at this step, GPS and WiFi antenna can be put at top right corner of dashboard. And connect the loose black wire to the iron of LVDS plug, very important!!! you should firstly connect the black wire to the iron of LVDS plug before turn on the unit! see below:
- After all cables connected well, turn on the car and the unit, test it, if everything goes well, power off the car, reinstall the CD/radio and climate control panel, tug the cables at the back of the screen neatly and install the new screen, you can put the main unit at right side behind the CD/radio(remove the entire plastic frame to put it there), or you can put the main unit to any other area where can be put into.
If you follow the above installation steps one by one, you should install it easily. You can also send this installation guide to your installer before he installs the Android BMW E60 navigation head unit for you. If your installer still have questions, just feel free to contact DVDGPSNAV.
You can also download the entire installation guide here.